BC Children’s Hospital, $36.99 to $46.27 per hour
What you’ll do
- Conduct comprehensive individual and family psychosocial assessments. Assess psychosocial issues in highly complex and acute cases that are beyond the identified initial reason for referral. Provide pre-transplant family and social assessments as needed to assist in decision-making around transplantation as an option.
- Manage caseload of inpatient and outpatient solid organ patients, organizing priorities accordingly.
- Screen and make referrals related to mental health, developmental and educational concerns and recommends consultation with psychology and psychiatry, as appropriate. Liaise with mental health within C & W and community mental health professionals.
- Provide advanced therapeutic psychosocial intervention through individual counseling to children and adolescents. Provide family counseling around adjustment to diagnosis and transplantation, grief and loss issues, resources, crisis intervention, conflict resolution and transition to other hospitals or adult care. Assist patient and family with coping strategies to decrease stress in decision-making around treatment, pre-transplant, during treatment and post-transplant.
- Provide ongoing crisis counselling and emotional support for patients and families in dealing with frequent hospital visits, episodes of organ rejection, residual effects of treatment such as absences from school due to ongoing medical interventions and assists with the child’s integration into daycare, school, social and recreational activities.
- Advocate for the patient, family or caregiver for resources within the hospital and the community, which includes co-coordinating and planning complex resources across Canada and the USA.
What you bring
- Completion of a Master’s degree in Social work.
- Post-graduate certificate(s) in training model(s) of therapeutic intervention such as advanced family therapy training, individual or play therapy, grief & loss counseling, and advanced mental health interventions.
- Four (4) years of recent, related experience as a social worker providing clinical expertise, as well as comprehensive individual/family/group therapy and teaching related to patients & families facing and living with transplantation.
- Post-graduate experience or education in clinical research, adult education, and teaching provincially, nationally, and internationally.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
You will have:
- Comprehensive knowledge of social work theory and practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of issues related to transplantation and the psychosocial impact for children, youth and families
- Demonstrated ability to conduct and document a comprehensive psychosocial assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to provide individual, family and group counselling, within the context of a health care setting.
- Knowledge of key issues relating to transition of youth to adult care.
- Demonstrated program development skills to identify gaps/needs and plan programs/develop services for transplant patients and their families.
What’s in it for you
Every PHSA employee enables the best possible patient care for our patients and their families. Whether you are providing direct care, conducting research, or making it possible for others to do their work, you impact the lives of British Columbians today and in the future. That’s why we’re focused on your care too – offering health, wellness, development programs to support you – at work and at home.
- Join one of BC’s largest employers with province-wide programs, services and operations – offering vast opportunities for growth and development.
- Access to more than 2,000 in-house training programs.
- Enjoy a comprehensive benefits package, including municipal pension plan.
- 12 annual statutory holidays with generous vacation entitlement and accruement.
- Perks include onsite fitness classes and discounts to 350 BC-wide recreational programs, travel, technology, car and bike sharing, and more.
Temporary, Full-Time (until on June 30, 2022)
$36.99 to $46.27 per hour
4500 Oak Street, Vancouver BC
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Monday to Friday; 0830-1630
Requisition Number: 109983
What we do
BC Children’s Hospital (BCCH) bcchildrens.ca provides care for the most seriously ill or injured children from across British Columbia.
Provincial Health Services Authority ( PHSA ) plans, coordinates and evaluates specialized health services with the BC health authorities to provide equitable and cost-effective health care for people throughout the province. Our values reflect our commitment to excellence and include: Respect people – Be compassionate – Dare to innovate – Cultivate partnerships – Serve with purpose. Learn more about PHSA and our programs: jobs.phsa.ca/programs-and-services
PHSA is committed to employment equity and hires on the basis of merit, encouraging all qualified individuals to apply. We recognize that our ability to provide the best care for our diverse patient populations relies on a rich diversity of skills, knowledge, backgrounds and experiences, and value a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment.
ATTN: PHSA Employees:
To be considered as a PHSA employee (internal applicant) for this position, you must apply online via your internal profile at http://internaljobs.phsa.ca
Please note the internal job posting will no longer be accessible after the expiry date of June 18, 2021. If the internal job posting has expired, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk and advise that you would like to be considered as a late internal applicant for this position. Please do not apply for the external job posting.
If you have not registered your internal profile, a password is required to log in for the first time. To obtain your password, please contact the Internal Jobs Help Desk at 604-875-7264 or 1-855-875-7264. Please note regular business hours are Monday – Friday (excluding stats), 8:30am to 4:30pm. For inquiries outside of regular business hours, please email the Internal Jobs Help Desk at email@example.com and a Help Desk Representative will contact you the next business day.