Support healthy, sustainable, just food practices and systems. Improve the health and nutrition of kids and youth. Make local, sustainable food accessible. Connect communities through food.
If you are an experienced executive driven by these goals, you should become the Executive Director of Growing Chefs!
Too many kids lack access to fresh, healthy food. Growing Chefs is on a mission to change that. Our vision is a world with healthy, just, sustainable food practices. We believe food can be a powerful catalyst for positive change in the lives of kids and youth.
Working with volunteers from the chef and restaurant industry, Growing Chefs engages kids in hands-on and virtual food literacy activities with the whole food cycle—from seed to plate to compost. Growing Chefs is where kids’ connection to food takes root. You can learn more about what we do at growingchefs.ca.
Why Growing Chefs!
Growing Chefs Is a dynamic non-profit organization that works with food professionals and educators to get kids excited about healthy, sustainable food. For close to 15 years, we’ve been growing our programs and our links in the community. We plan to continue building on a successful foundation to become one of the leading education and advocacy organizations in our field.
We have a caring people culture in which we value our staff and nurture their growth. We support staff at all levels in meeting their personal and workplace goals. Our staff love their work and respect each other.
Growing Chefs is committed to equity. We prioritize qualified applications from underrepresented groups including trans and gender variant persons, Indigenous persons, persons of colour, and persons with disabilities. We encourage people who face barriers to employment to apply and to let us know how we can shape the recruitment process to fit their needs.
Executive Director’s Roles and Responsibilities
Working closely with the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) supports the development and implementation of the strategic plan that guides the organization. The ED provides leadership for the staff, programs, organizational operations, and the execution of the Growing Chefs mission.
The ED is responsible for:
- Developing and implementing our strategic plan
- Nurturing our people and culture
- Ensuring effective and efficient operations and financial management
- Prospecting, cultivating and engaging with funders
- Communicating and engaging with our communities
- Acting as the public face of the organization
The ED works closely with the Chair and reports to the Board of Directors.
We are looking for :
- A passionate changemaker connected to the vision and mission of Growing Chefs
- An innovative and dynamic leader with three or more years experience and a proven track record of successfully leading a medium-sized non-profit organization (or similar experience)
- A creative and strategic thinker and decision maker with a systems change approach
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and understanding a culture-of-philanthropy approach
- Demonstrated success in building and supporting a nurturing, respectful HR culture that helps staff thrive
- Demonstrated ability to grow strong relationships with a wide range of community partners
- Excellent communication skills: written, verbal, and presentation
- Experience in managing a budget and financial reporting
- Skills in operational management, infrastructure, and capacity building
- Knowledge of the hospitality and education fields in BC, as well as an understanding of governance best practices, would be an asset
Interested in a more complete job description? Awesome! Go to our What’s New web page to see more of the nitty gritty. Please note that we will be accepting applications until this position is filled.
Growing Chefs offers a salary range of 79,000 to $92,000 per year, based on a 35-hour work week and five weeks of vacation.